This is what you need to do if you wish to apply for a licence:
- If you haven't already done so, create a personal online account on our self-service website.
- Fill in and submit your application online*. You will be asked for certain personal information - for example, where you have lived within the last 5 years.
- We will ask you to go to a UK post office** to complete your application. You will need to take certain documents with you (we will tell you which ones when you submit your application). Not all post offices offer this service – please check the post office website for details on which ones do.
- The post office staff will check and return your documents, take a digital photograph of you, take an electronic version of your signature and take payment of the application fee.
- You may need to send your documents to us as well as taking them to the post office. We will tell you if this is the case when you submit your application.
* Please contact us if you are unable to apply online; we will tell you what to do next.
** Please contact us if you are unable to complete your application at a UK post office (for example, if you live overseas). We will tell you what to do next.
Browser support for our licensing site
Before You Apply
Before you apply for a licence you should check that you will meet our licensing criteria. Doing so may save you time and money: you will not be granted a licence unless you meet the criteria and the licence fee is non-refundable.
Read more about this
When you apply for a licence you give your consent for the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) or AccessNI to share with us the data it holds on you. You must read the DBS / AccessNI consent statement before you apply.
Read the consent statement
What We'll Do
- We check the information you have given us against the information we hold and information held by other government agencies.
- We use all of that information to decide whether you meet our published licensing criteria. If we judge it necessary to refuse your licence application we will write to you to explain why; you will then have 21 days from the date on our decision letter to provide a response.
- We aim to process 80% of correctly completed applications within 25 working days. The process may take longer than this if your application is incomplete or we need to undertake further checks – for example, if you have to provide evidence of a criminality check from overseas. You can check the status of your application at any time.
Check the status of your application
How much does it cost?
The licence application fee is £220 for a three year licence, except for front line vehicle immobiliser licences where the fee is £220 for a one year licence.
50% discount: Some people may need more than one licence; in such cases the second licence will be discounted by 50%.
More about the application fee