Criminal Record Checks From Ireland

If you live overseas or you have spent six continuous months or more outside the UK, you must provide evidence of a criminal record check from the relevant country or countries. The checks need to cover the five years prior to your application.

Northern Ireland

You no longer need to provide your own evidence of a criminality check from Northern Ireland. The formal launch of SIA licensing for Northern Ireland means that we will obtain this information from Access N.I.

Republic of Ireland

You are entitled to a copy of any criminal record held on you by the Garda Síochána (the police force of the Republic of Ireland), subject to certain exemptions.

You should send a written disclosure request to the Garda, clearly stating that you are making the request under section 4 of the Irish Data Protection Act 1988 and that you require all the information that may be held about you on computer. The address to write to is:

Inspector in Charge
Garda Central Vetting Unit
Racecourse Road
Co. Tipperary

The Central Vetting Unit can also be contacted by telephone on 00353-50427300 or by fax on 00353-50427373

Your letter must also include the following:

  • your name and current address,
  • your date of birth,
  • any previous addresses you may have had within the Republic of Ireland, and
  • any previous names you were known by (if applicable)

A request for information under the Act carries a fee, which must be sent with your request. Please contact the Central Vetting Unit to find out what this will be and how you can pay it.

You should expect to receive a copy of your record within 40 days of the Garda receiving your request and payment.