You can't renew a licence unless you currently hold an active licence in that sector. If your licence has expired, you will need to apply for a new licence.
We will accept licence renewals up to four months in advance of when your current licence expires. If your application for renewal is successful and is processed before your existing licence expires, you will not be disadvantaged as the new licence will expire three years after your current licence expires.
A licence renewal costs the same as a new application (£220). No additional training or qualification is required for a licence renewal unless you are renewing a door supervisor licence and you have not attained one of the current licence-linked qualifications (the ones introduced in Summer 2010).
More about renewing a door supervisor licence
Renewing Through Your Employer
We offer services that can allow your employer to renew a licence on your behalf. These services are called Licence Assist and Licence Management and they are only available to SIA approved contractors.
Check if your employer is an approved contractor
These diagrams explain the licensing process if your employer is using our Licence Management or Licence Assist service. The diagrams show what you and your employer need to do to complete your application.
These diagrams explain the licensing process if you are paying for your application yourself or if a business is paying for your application using our Licence Pay Only service.
You should follow the process below to renew an existing licence.
- If you haven't already done so, create a personal online account on our self-service website. Login credentials from our old site will not work. You will need to set up a new account, with a new username and password.
- Log in to your online account to submit your renewal application*. You will be asked for certain personal information - for example, where you have lived within the last 5 years. When you submit your application you will be told what to do next.
- Complete and pay for your application online. You will not need to go to a post office** to complete your application unless we need an updated photograph of you – if that is the case you will be told when you submit your application. Not all post offices offer this service – please check the post office website for details on which ones do.
If your employer or another business wishes to pay the application fee on your behalf, they can do this online using our Licence Pay Only service.
- You may need to send documents to us. We will tell you if this is the case when you submit your application.
More about Licence Pay Only
* We will accept paper applications in exceptional circumstances and on a case-by-case basis. If you believe this applies to you, you should contact us to explain why you are unable to apply online. We will respond to let you know whether we will accept a paper application from you.
** Please contact us if you are unable to complete your application at a UK post office (for example, if you live overseas). We will tell you what to do next.
Browser support for our licensing site
Before You Apply
When you apply for a licence you give your consent for the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) or AccessNI to share with us the data it holds on you. You must read the DBS / AccessNI consent statement before you apply.
Read the consent statement
What We'll Do
- We check the information you have given us against the information we hold and information held by other government agencies.
- We use all of that information to decide whether you meet our published licensing criteria. If we judge it necessary to refuse your licence application we will write to you to explain why; you will then have 21 days from the date on our decision letter to provide a response.
- We aim to process 80% of correctly completed applications within 25 working days. The process may take longer than this if your application is incomplete or we need to undertake further checks – for example, if you have to provide evidence of a criminality check from overseas. You can check the status of your application at any time.
Check the status of your application