In some exceptional cases official sources do not exist or exist but are unable to supply you with a criminal record check. For example, the government administration has collapsed to a point where there are no credible official sources of information or there is a risk to your personal safety if you make contact with your country of residence.
If you think you qualify for this process, you will firstly need to create a personal online account on our self-service website. You will also need to fill in and submit a licence application online. After you have done this, you will need to fully explain why you cannot obtain an overseas criminal record check.
If we agree that the official sources are not available to provide criminal record checks, you should provide the following two documents:
- An oath sworn in front of an EU registered solicitor or Commissioner for Oaths attesting to lack of criminal convictions for this period. The following should be present in the sworn oath:
- A statement of the period of time and country it covers.
- Your name and address.
- A statement regarding your criminal record - either clear with no outstanding charges, cautions, warnings, community resolutions or admonishments, or setting out past offences, cautions, warnings, community resolutions, admonishments or outstanding charges (with full dates and details of the offence or sentence).
- A declaration to us that the information is true.
- Your signature and date.
- Signature and stamp/address of the solicitor/Commissioner for Oaths.
- A character reference from a professional who knew you personally during the specified period.
- All character references will be thoroughly checked for authenticity.
- You may be asked to provide further information if there are multiple gaps in your records (for example: several periods of four months overseas in the last five years) and there is reason to believe that more information is needed before we can make a decision about your case.
- By "a professional" we mean:
- Chairman / Director of a Limited Company
- Commissioner of Oaths
- General Practitioner
- Justice of the Peace
- Member of Parliament
- Officer of the Armed Services (Active or Retired)
- Police Officer
- Refugee support worker / Asylum caseworker / Social worker*
- Solicitor / Lawyer
- Teacher / Lecturer
- Warrant Officer or Chief Petty Officer
* Can provide character references for applicants with refugee status for the period spent in the country from where the applicant has sought refuge.