The objective of the Approved Contractor Scheme is to raise performance standards and to assist the private security industry in developing new opportunities, while better serving customer needs.
Your application will be reviewed against the following:
- SIA licensed staff. Achieving and maintaining approval is dependent upon your organisation having at least 85% of your security staff licensed at all times, regardless of whether or not they are currently deployed.
- Fit and proper organisation / management. We must be satisfied that the company seeking approval is a 'fit and proper' organisation. In addition to this, directors of the company must be considered 'fit and proper' persons and must not currently be disqualified from being directors. Known allegations against directors may need to be investigated before proceeding.
- Licensed directors. All licensable directors must hold a valid SIA licence or, in our view, have taken adequate steps to obtain one.
- Significant complaints. If there are significant concerns or complaints against your organisation or its senior management, these may have to be investigated further before proceeding.
- Self-assessment. The Self Assessment Workbook (if applicable) has been completed properly with justification provided for the self-assessment.
- Payment of the appropriate fees.
Information provided at the time of application will be made available to your selected assessing body for verification. This will include information about directors and the status of employee licensing.
We can assist you throughout the ACS application process - please consider this before seeking advice from third party consultants.
To maintain approval an approved contractor must re-register every year and renew approval every three years. The re-registration process requires re-verification visits from the chosen assessing body, who can provide further information on the assessment requirements for each year of approval.
All approved contractors must adhere to the standard terms and conditions of the Scheme in order to remain approved. However, we may impose additional, specific conditions on any approval as necessary.
If you have any enquiries regarding the ACS please submit these through your online business account (select 'Contact the SIA' and then 'I want to make a business enquiry'). If you do not have a business account you can register for one by following the link below.
Register for an online business account
Alternatively you can write to us at:
Approved Contractor Scheme
Security Industry Authority
PO Box 49768
Or you can call us on 0300 123 9298.
This telephone number is intended for the use of our approved contractors and other businesses. Individual licence holders or applicants should contact us through their online accounts or the 'Contact Us' form on this website. If you need to speak to us you can send a message to ask that we call you (please include a telephone number).
We regret that calls to this line from individual applicants or licence holders may experience long waiting times.
How to Become an Approved Contractor
More information is available in our 'How to Become an SIA Approved Contractor' booklet (download size: 777kb)
Requires Adobe's free Acrobat Reader