Authorisation to deploy security staff while their licence applications are being processed is given to an Approved Contractor in the form of an SIA Licence Dispensation Notice (LDN).
The Approved Contractor then issues a personal LDN to each individual member of staff who is entitled to work under the terms of this dispensation. The personal LDN is issued on an Approved Contractor's own stationery but conforming to a template issued by us. The template requires:
- the name of the Approved Contractor, contact details and the signature of a representative;
- the name of the individual operative, contact details and their signature;
- the individual operative's SIA licence application reference number;
- an expiry date for the Personal LDN;
- the sectors for which the LDN applies.
Even if an LDN has been issued, an offence is still committed under Section 3 of the Private Security Industry Act 2001 unless all of the following circumstances apply:
- the person has applied for a licence and the application is pending;
- the licence applied for is for the activity in which the individual is engaged;
- the person hasn't previously been refused a licence for that activity;
- the employer is an Approved Contractor for the relevant activity (sector) under the ACS;
- the SIA has authorised the employer to deploy employees whose licence applications are pending.
'Get Approved' condition of approval 11 states that an approved contractor must comply with all guidance issued in relation to the ACS regime, including complying with:
- All requirements associated with the use of licence dispensation notices, including ensuring that no more than 15% of operatives are supplied under licence dispensation at any one time.
- All requirements associated with the use of our Licence Management and Licence Assist products, if utilised.
- All requirements relating to the use of the ACS accreditation mark.
Misuse of the licence dispensation facility, whether as an approved contractor or otherwise, may result in the refusal of future applications for approved status, the withdrawal of the licence dispensation facility, and / or the withdrawal of approved status, as deemed appropriate by us.
Download Get Approved (download size: 416kb)
A Direction issued under section 2(1) of the Private Security Industry Act 2001 permits the SIA to exercise its discretion to increase the level of licensing dispensation given to an Approved Contractor in exceptional circumstances. Decisions as to whether exceptional circumstances apply will be made in accordance with our 'Exceptional Circumstances Policy for Licensing Dispensation'.
Download the Direction Regarding the Approved Contractor Scheme (download size: 40kb)
Download our guidance document on licence dispensation (download size: 418kb)