Managing Licence Applications
Approved contractors that register for our Licence Assist or Licence Management services should follow the process below to fill in and pay for applications on behalf of operatives.
What You'll Need To Do
- Log in to our self-service website
- Send the operative a request to link with their personal online account. You will not be able to submit an application on their behalf until they accept this request.
- Enter all of the required information, submit and pay for the application. At this stage, the operative will also be able to enter information into the application through their personal online account. Payment for licence applications can be made by direct debit or credit card, through you online account.
- If you are using our Licence Management service, your staff will be able to verify the operative's identification documents and upload a photograph, removing the need for the operative to go to a post office.
- If you are using our Licence Assist service and the operative does not currently hold an SIA licence, they will need to visit a UK post office in order to complete their application.
What We'll Do Next
- We check the information you have given us against the information we already hold and information held by other government agencies.
- We use all of this information to decide whether the operative meets our published licensing criteria. If we judge it necessary to refuse their licence application we will write to them to explain why (you will not receive anything from us at this time). They will then have 21 days from the date on our decision letter to provide a response.
- If we do not receive a response within the 21 days the decision to refuse the licence will automatically take effect. You will receive an email copy of the letter that we send to the operative confirming this.
- If we do receive a response within the 21 days we will give it due consideration, and will write to the operative to inform them of our decision. You will receive an email copy of the letter that we send to them.
- We aim to process 80% of correctly completed applications within 25 working days. The process may take longer than this if an application is incomplete or we need to undertake further checks – for example, if the operative has to provide evidence of a criminality check from overseas. They and you can check the status of the application at any time by logging into our self-service website.