How to Register a Complaint

Complaints can be made through this website, by post, or through your SIA online account. Please state that you are making a formal complaint in your message.

Complaints made by social media will receive a response directing you to this complaints procedure.

We aim to acknowledge complaints within 3 working days of receiving them and respond to all complaints within 20 working days from our initial acknowledgement.

Complaints about security staff

If you are unhappy with the service you have received from a security operative or company, please complain directly to the company or venue concerned.

If you have concerns about the way a security operative or company has been operating or think they are behaving illegally, please report them by following the link below.

Report a crime or concern

Your report will then be received by our Intelligence team. We will not be able to provide feedback or tell you what actions we take.

Licensing decisions

If you are unhappy with a decision we have made about your licence, please follow our appeals process. Details of this will have been provided in the letter we sent you when we made our decision.

Submitting a complaint

If you would like to submit a formal complaint through this website, please follow the link below. You should select 'General Enquiry' and the most relevant topic and state that you are making a formal complaint in your message.

Submit a complaint online

How will we respond to your complaint?

If we find that we have made mistakes or that there have been errors or avoidable delays on our part:

  • We will apologise
  • We will explain what went wrong and what we have done to put things right
  • Where appropriate, we will tell you what we have done to stop the problem occurring in the future

If we find that we are not at fault, or that the problems were not caused by us:

  • We will explain what we have done and why we have done it
  • We will explain how the problem occurred as far as we can tell
  • We will tell you anything that you can do to resolve the problem or avoid it happening in the future

Our response may come from the complaints team or from the individual manager that has been asked to investigate your complaint.

What if you don't agree with our response?

If you don’t agree with our response you can ask for your case to be reviewed by a senior member of staff. This could be anyone at Senior Manager level or above.

If you are still not satisfied with our response, you can ask for your case to be reviewed by the Parliamentary and Health Services Ombudsman (PHSO) by speaking to your local MP. The PHSO will expect you to have completed our internal complaints process before they will accept your case.

You can find the contact details for your local MP here. More information about the PHSO can be found here.


Complaints Handling Policy

Cover of the SIA's complaints handling policy

More information on how we deal with complaints is available in our 'Complaints Handling Policy' (download size: 133kb).



Requires Adobe's free Acrobat Reader