Applying Through Your Employer
We offer services that can allow your employer to apply for a licence on your behalf. These services are called Licence Assist and Licence Management and they are only available to SIA approved contractors.
Check if your employer is an approved contractor
These diagrams explain the licensing process if your employer is using our Licence Management or Licence Assist service. The diagrams show what you and your employer need to do to complete your application.
These diagrams explain the licensing process if you are paying for your application yourself or if a business is paying for your application using our Licence Pay Only service.
You should follow the process below:
- If you haven't already done so, create a personal online account on our self-service website. Login credentials from our old site will not work. You will need to set up a new account, with a new username and password.
- Log in to your online account to submit your application*. You will be asked for certain personal information - for example, where you have lived within the last 5 years. When you submit your application you will be told what to do next.
- Complete and pay for your application online. You will not need to go to a post office** to complete your application unless we need an updated photograph of you – if that is the case you will be told when you submit your application. Not all post offices offer this service – please check the post office website for details on which ones do.
If your employer or another business wishes to pay the application fee on your behalf, they can do this online using our Licence Pay Only service.
- You may need to send documents to us. We will tell you if this is the case when you submit your application.
View a diagram explaining the licensing process if a business is using our Licence Pay Only service to pay the application fee on your behalf (download size: 298kb)
* We will accept paper applications in exceptional circumstances and on a case-by-case basis. If you believe this applies to you, you should contact us to explain why you are unable to apply online. We will respond to let you know whether we will accept a paper application from you.
** Please contact us if you are unable to complete your application at a UK post office (for example, if you live overseas). We will tell you what to do next.
Browser support for our licensing site
What We'll Do
- We check the information you have given us against the information we hold and information held by other government agencies.
- We use all of that information to decide whether you meet our published licensing criteria. If we judge it necessary to refuse your licence application we will write to you to explain why; you will then have 21 days from the date on our decision letter to provide a response.
Check the status of your application