Applying Through Your Employer
We offer services that can allow your employer to apply for a licence on your behalf. These services are called Licence Assist and Licence Management and they are only available to SIA approved contractors.
Check if your employer is an approved contractor
These diagrams explain the licensing process if your employer is using our Licence Management or Licence Assist service. The diagrams show what you and your employer need to do to complete your application.
These diagrams explain the licensing process if you are paying for your application yourself or if a business is paying for your application using our Licence Pay Only service.
This is what you need to do if you wish to apply for a licence:
- If you haven't already done so, create a personal online account on our self-service website. Login credentials from our old site will not work. You will need to set up a new account, with a new username and password.
- Fill in and submit your application online*. You will be asked for certain personal information - for example, where you have lived within the last 5 years.
- We will ask you to go to a UK post office** to complete your application. You will need to take certain documents with you (we will tell you which ones when you submit your application). Not all post offices offer this service – please check the post office website for details on which ones do.
- The post office staff will check and return your documents, take a digital photograph of you and take payment of the application fee.
If your employer or another business wishes to pay the application fee on your behalf, they can do this online using our Licence Pay Only service.
- You may need to send your documents to us as well as taking them to the post office. We will tell you if this is the case when you submit your application.
More about Licence Pay Only
* We will accept paper applications in exceptional circumstances and on a case-by-case basis. If you believe this applies to you, you should contact us to explain why you are unable to apply online. We will respond to let you know whether we will accept a paper application from you.
** Please contact us if you are unable to complete your application at a UK post office (for example, if you live overseas). We will tell you what to do next.
Browser support for our licensing site
Before You Apply
Before you apply for a licence you should check that you will meet our licensing criteria. Doing so may save you time and money: you will not be granted a licence unless you meet the criteria and the licence fee is non-refundable.
Read more about this
What We'll Do
- We check the information you have given us against the information we hold and information held by other government agencies.
- We use all of that information to decide whether you meet our published licensing criteria. If we judge it necessary to refuse your licence application we will write to you to explain why; you will then have 21 days from the date on our decision letter to provide a response.
Check the status of your application
How much does it cost?
The licence application fee is £210 for a three year licence, except for front line vehicle immobiliser licences where the fee is £210 for a one year licence.
50% discount: Some people may need more than one licence; in such cases the second licence will be discounted by 50%.
More about the application fee