You will need to provide us with a good-quality colour photograph. If you complete your application at a UK post office, the post office staff will take this photograph for you.
Your photograph must:
- Be colour passport style and size (45mm x 35mm).
- Be in sharp focus and clear.
- Be a true likeness of you.
- Show your application unique reference number, or (if you do not have one) your name and date of birth on the back.
We cannot accept the following:
- Self-taken photographs where the image has been stretched or squeezed to fit the measurement requirements
- Black and white photographs
- Photographs in which you are to close to the camera
- Photographs in which you are too far away (e.g.: showing the subject from the waist up)
- Photographs of you wearing headgear, unless you wear a head covering due to your religious beliefs or ethnic background
- Photographs of you wearing head equipment such as mobile phone 'hands free' or radio earphones
- Photographs of you wearing sunglasses or darkened lenses (you can wear clear everyday glasses)
- Over-exposed photographs in which your face is too light
- Under-exposed photographs in which your face is too dark or your facial features are unclear
- Photographs with a dark, curtained or coloured background
- Photographs in which your face is obscured by shadow
Examples of photographs that we cannot accept are shown below:
Examples of photographs that we can accept are:
If you complete your application at a UK post office we do not require a counter-signatory.
If you are submitting a paper application form you must provide a photograph that is counter-signed and dated on the back in blue or black ink by a UK passport holder. Details of the person signing the photograph will need to be provided in section C of the application form. By signing and dating the photograph the counter-signatory is agreeing that the photograph is of you. Please note: your counter-signatory should not be a relative or member of your family.
If the photograph is not signed and dated by the counter-signatory, or their full name and address, UK passport number and telephone number is not given, we will need to return your application form.
Please contact us for advice if you are applying from overseas and you are unable to obtain a counter-signature from a UK passport holder.