Tip of the Week

When can you work in a licensable role?

You can lawfully work in a licensable role in the following circumstances:

  1. You hold a current, active licence for that activity, or
  2. You hold a current, active licence for a different activity and our rules allow you to work in your role with that licence (for example, you hold a door supervisor licence and you work as a security guard), or
  3. You work for an SIA approved contractor and they have issued you with a personal licence dispensation notice (LDN). For the LDN to be valid all of the following conditions must be met:
    1. You have an application for an SIA licence that is at the 'Checks in Progress' stage
    2. Your application is for a sector in which the company is approved
    3. We have authorised the company to issue licence dispensation notices

You cannot lawfully work while you are applying for a licence if:

  • You don't work for an SIA approved contractor, or
  • You work for an approved contractor but some or all of the conditions above have not been met.

Please also note that:

  • Licence dispensation notices are not issued by us, they are issued by your employer (assuming they are an approved contractor)
  • Licence dispensation notices are only valid while we are processing your application.
  • If your licence has been granted and you are just waiting for it to arrive in the post, you are legally allowed to undertake licensable activity. This is because you are considered to be licensed from the point at which we make our decision.
  • There is no such thing as a 'temporary licence' or a 'temporary licence number'. All SIA licences are valid for three years except for front line vehicle immobiliser licences which are valid for one year. The duration of SIA licences is set in law and we do not have the power to vary this.
  • It is not your job title that determines whether or not you need a licence, it is what you do. If you undertake the licensable activity of a manned guard, a vehicle immobiliser or a key holder without a valid licence or a properly issued licence dispensation notice, you will be breaking the law no matter what your job title is.