Several different types of organisation are involved in the creation and delivery of SIA-endorsed qualifications.
- Sets competency standards and specifies qualifications for licensing. Part of our responsibility for front line applicants is to define the skills and knowledge appropriate for an individual to start work. The SIA owns these core competency specifications and retains responsibility for their future development.
- Endorses awarding organisations who wish to offer its qualifications, in conjunction with the qualification regulation authorities*
- Issues licences based on competency, probity and identification
- Is responsible for the overall quality assurance of the licensing process
- Consults regularly with stakeholders to ensure that standards and qualifications meet the needs of the industry and continue to raise standards of competence and professionalism
The Qualification Regulation Authorities
The Office of the Qualifications and Examinations Regulator (OFQUAL) is responsible for regulating qualifications in England, and also acts on behalf of the Department of Children, Education, Lifelong Learning and Skills (DCELLS) in Wales. The Council for the Curriculum, Examinations and Assessment (CCEA) regulates all qualifications in Northern Ireland. The Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA) regulates qualifications in Scotland. OFQUAL, CCEA and SQA:
- Approve qualifications
- Approve awarding organisations
- Manage the arrangements for the register of regulated qualifications
- Develop qualifications and operate the examination system against the SIA specifications
- Achieve OFQUAL/SQA/DCELLS accreditation and SIA endorsement
- Approve training and assessment centres
- Register candidates and provide evidence of their identity
- Award the qualification and input data into the SIA qualifications database
- Accredit prior learning and previous qualifications
- Provide quality assurance of the assessment and qualification process
Training providers are responsible for delivering training courses that result in the qualifications required for an SIA licence.